Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ubuntu 8.10 Review

Hey guys just finished an install of Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex, and overall it is the best linux distro so far.

Or at least in my eyes, I have tried various different linux distros, such as fedora, suse, yellow dog, xubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu, etc, and I have to say this one is the best so far.

Now feature wise it is filled with features, and for all you linux noobs out there if your wondering about compatibility and if your hardware will work then I have to tell you ITS LINUX ITS COMPATIBLE WITH ALMOST ANYTHING!!!
The bare minimum system requirements are:
  • 300 MHz x86 processor
  • 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
  • At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
  • VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
  • CD-ROM drive or network card
Note if you use the bare minimum system requirements it won't be as fast and you won't be able to use all of the features.

Here are the Recommended system requirements.
  • 700 MHz x86 processor
  • 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
  • 8 GB of disk space
  • Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
  • Sound card

  • A network or Internet connection

The higher your specs the better!



Ok now lets talk about the feel of the desktop.
I really do not like the default theme for Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex, its just not for me, so I changed it by right clicking the desktop and going to "change desktop background.
It is called Dark room.
I personally like this theme better than the origanal as previously stated.


Ok so the interface used in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is called "Gnome" it is my personal favorite I really don't like kde but I haven't used it in awhile and from what i've heard it has definitely changed so I think i'll try it out.

The overall feel of the desktop is awesome it really doesn't have any flaws at all.
And it also looks awesome especially the default theme.


I love linux personally although I have primarily been using Windows, I have previously used Xubuntu linux as my primary on my laptop.
All around Ubuntu and linux is a strong operating system and its only getting better, with more and more programs becoming compatible with linux especially Ubuntu eventually it very well might be the "Best" operating system out there.
And I stand by that opinion, because linux is stable and its more "standard" user friendly then ever, and its also for the more "advanced" user.

And as always this has been Computerstuff101 helping you with Windows Xp,
98, Windows 7, Windows Vista, MAC OS X, Linux, and just about any other operating system so come here for all of your computer needs and even for hardware info!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment